Epoxy floors offer a reliable and durable surface for commercial and industrial flooring. Epoxy floor coatings are normally applied over concrete floors to provide a high performance, smooth and durable surface that can last many years or withstand heavy loads.? Many industrial buildings, warehouses and commercial buildings require to have epoxy floors as they need to maintain the floors in perfect conditions, and the only way or easiest way is by having epoxy floors.
Epoxy Floor Coatings
An epoxy coating will need a slightly porous and cleaned surface to adhere properly. It is important to patch and repair all major cracks and chips before applying the epoxy. Epoxy coating shall not be applied over smooth concrete and the surface must be old enough to ensure a better adherence. Be sure to remove all grease? before applying the coating.? Test the surface for previous layers of epoxy or other products that might have been applied over the years. To test for sealant, pour a small amount of water onto the floor. It should soak in. Depending on the product being applied, you might need to apply an epoxy paint and a top coat. Before applying the epoxy coating make sure that the temperature is adequate and follow manufacturer’s recommendations. If applied at different temperatures than the ones specified, the application can bubble and peel.? Once you have mixed the product you have a specific time to apply the epoxy coating before it starts to harden.
The primer is applied just like paint and allowed to settle for several hours before the epoxy goes on. To apply cover the floor with a thin layer of water and place all the epoxy on the ground. Using a roller pin on a pole, spread the epoxy out in a thin layer across the entire floor space. When the primer has dried apply the second coat.
The finisher is applied in the same manner as the primer, minus the water basing.
Epoxy Floor Coating Advantages
Epoxy floor coatings offer many advantages when compared to other traditional coatings applied over concrete. The following can be considered the most important advantages:
- Epoxy coatings will create a shiny high gloss surface. The brightness in an area with epoxy floor can be increased by 200%
- It offers a hard wearing durable surface able to withstand heavy and continuous traffic.
- Epoxy floors are really fast and easy to install.
- Durable and easy to clean
- Ideal for warehouses and industrial applications, and sometimes no paint is required over the epoxy finishing.
- Resists oil stains, beads water, and wipes super clean and will create a seamless surface
- Epoxy floor, when applied properly can last several years.
- Can be combined with paints and colors to mask off chips and cracks
- Provide a chemically resistant surface ideal for manufacturing plants
- Epoxy floors offer enhanced safety by creating an anti-slip surface, heat and fire resistant solution to concrete floors.
- Different patterns can be combined to create driveways and/or identify walkable areas.
- Prevent wear and tear to the existing concrete floor.
- Epoxy floors are considered environmental friendly solutions.
- Some of the products used can also be combined with self-leveling products that can be applied over new or old concrete.
- Require little or no major maintenance.